You know the feeling. On the outside, you’re positive and enthusiastic. You know all the right things to say and you say them. But on the inside, the complete opposite is going on. You’re filled with fear and dread, knowing that you’re a fraud. What if they find out? And you’re always asking yourself, “Why don’t I feel worthy or deserving of success?”
Feeling You’re Less Than You Are
Knowing what you want to be and being it are sometimes miles apart. Especially when you’re a person of faith. You know that 3 John 2 says that God wants you to prosper. So then, why do so many people thrill in telling you that God doesn’t want you to be successful? That true Christ-followers should be lowly doormats barely making enough to scrape by on?
Some Very Bad Thoughts to Hold On To
Some of these ideas are so ingrained in us that it’s hard to escape them. You know the litany:
- I’m not worthy because of something in my past.
- I don’t deserve prosperity because of who I am at the core.
- I feel defective and don’t feel deserving.
- I don’t think I’ve ever felt worthy.
- I haven’t done enough and I know I’m not enough so I can’t be one of those who deserves success.
- I’ve never felt deserving, so why bother trying.
- I don’t think I’m worthy.
- I can’t succeed because I was never taught that I could be successful.
- I can’t be successful in business because God’s people aren’t supposed to be successful.
- I can’t win in business because I’ve made so many stupid mistakes.
- I’m too old/too young.
- I’m a woman/man.
- No one wants to work with me.
- If people knew who I really am they might not like me.
- I won’t know how to help people in the business.
Wow, isn’t it awful to live in that place in your head? But so many do. I’d like to give you some thoughts to replace the ones above.
Some Very Good Thoughts to Replace The Very Bad Thoughts
- I love changing my limiting beliefs.
- I appreciate who I am in Christ now.
- I love realizing Christ has made me deserving of success and abundance.
- I choose to believe I am worthy in Christ.
- I enjoy feeling so deserving and worthy of success in my business.
- I am so relieved to know I am deserving.
- I am so relieved that I am worthy enough to deserve success.
- I am so grateful for my new-found belief in prosperity.
- I choose to love, honor and forgive (insert person’s name).
- I choose to create a successful network marketing (or other type of) business.
- Even though (insert person’s name) sent me mixed messages about success I choose to be successful.
- God has given me the victory in Christ Jesus.
- I choose to live in that victory.
- I choose to believe who I am in Christ.
- I am successful in my chosen business.
Moving Forward in Victory
There are many ways to change your thought patterns (prayer, Emotional Freedom Technique/tapping, speaking the above affirmations over yourself, meditate on the positive affirmations, etc.) but one thing is clear, our thought life is absolutely manifested in our physical life. Changing your thoughts (the Bible calls it tearing down strongholds) may not happen overnight, but with some effort you can do it. Soon, you’ll no longer be asking yourself, “Why don’t I feel worthy or deserving of success?” You’ll be manifesting success!
What are some ways you change your thought patterns?
Learn more in my new book, Be in Health: Bible-Based Health Restoration: Living in Harmony with God’s Ways Regarding Health. Available now.